Here is a brief update on the status of the N. Kingston St. Reconstruction Project and what to expect in the next week.
- The paving of the base course of N. Kingston St. is complete as of 11/1. Another 2” lift of bituminous pavement will be added to the roadway next spring. The reason for the delay is to allow the road to settle through the winter to bring forward any spots that may need correction in order to attain a smooth ride next year.
- Topsoil is being placed in the boulevards and any areas that were disturbed during construction activities. This work is expected to be completed by 11/9, weather pending. Due to the changing weather at this time of year, the City, WSB & Associates, and A-1 Excavating are exploring options for site restoration (i.e. sod, seed, hydro-mulch) that will take place following topsoil placement. If the City moves forward with sod—as called for in the project design—the sod will be installed next spring when it is available; in the interim, the City will be using soil stabilization methods to minimize movement of the topsoil.
- Temporary street lighting has been installed along N. Kingston St. The City used the only extra poles in its inventory, so, unfortunately, the City cannot add additional temporary lighting. As mentioned in one of the prior updates, production of the new light poles has been delayed by the manufacturer and will not be delivered until late January or February, which means the new light poles probably won’t be erected until March when the weather is conducive.
- Even though the road has been paved and is accessible for local traffic, motorists are asked to remain aware of their surroundings and use caution when accessing N. Kingston Street, as there is still construction activities taking place and safety for construction personnel is a top priority. It is expected that work will be completed for the season by next Friday, November 9, 2018, and N. Kingston Street should be accessible for all traffic (except heavy trucks) after that time.
- During the week of 11/5, the sanitary sewer and stormwater manholes will be raised to the pavement elevation to gain access should an emergency occur during the winter months. After the castings are installed, the pavement will be patched around them. The gate valves for the watermain will also be raised the week of 11/5.
- Signage will be installed this year and will take place once A-1 Excavating has completed all of their work on the project for the year.
- Striping will be added next spring after the second lift of pavement has been added. There will be no temporary striping on N. Kingston Street, so motorists are asked to obey standard laws of the road (e.g., no passing on city streets).
If you have any questions or concerns about the project, staff from the City, WSB & Associates, and A-1 Excavating will be having a meeting on Wednesday, November 7, 2018, at 1:00 p.m. at City Hall.
If you have a question or concern about the project, please feel free to contact Dylan Koch from WSB & Associates, who is the City’s project inspector and is on-site Monday through Friday. His cell number is 507-216-1596.